Free exercise classes are being held for seniors 55+ every Tuesday and Thursday. These exercise classes help increase endurance, energy, improve heart, lung function, bone health, balance and posture. Participants enjoy each others company after exercise over homemade soup and nutritious snack.
Speakers are invited to speak on various topics after which discussions are held. Subjects are chosen by means of group in-put.
Topic examples are:
- Health and nutrition
- Boost your memory
- Diet and exercise
- Self care
- Family Violence, Elder abuse
- Community mediation
- Education, training, job opportunities
One to One Support
Support is given by means of
- Hospital and home visits
- Help with grocery shopping
- Meals at cost to seniors unable to cook
- Translation services in Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali
- Assistance with form filling and tax filing
- Assistance in making connections and referrals to various services and agencies.
Social activities include:
- Carom and chess competitions
- poetry reading and creative writing
- Book club discussions and movies
- Picnics, lunch at cost, drop in
Three Urdu workbooks have been compiled by our seniors, urdu teachers and volunteers for the use of students attending Urdu classes.
MWSSA also compiles an annual magazine where seniors, new immigrants and youth share their stories and life experience. If you are interested in sharing your “stories” please call our Centre.
Developing Crafts & Hobbies
This is a opportunity to learn, teach and do such things as traditional embroidery, crocheting, knitting, painting, art, creative writing classes and other requested crafts and art.
Writing and sharing your life experiences & stories:
- Share your life experiences through interview and the telling of stories for you and your family to enjoy and treasure.
Group Program In-Put
- All areas welcome suggestions from participants to ensure the group needs are being met.